Why teeth become stained and the benefits of getting professional teeth whitening from a dentist
A dazzling white smile radiates confidence, health, and beauty, but no matter how good your oral hygiene is, you may experience teeth yellowing over time due to a variety of reasons, some of which may be beyond your control. At Pasadena Prosthodontics, dentist Dr. Christopher Marchack uses a highly customized teeth whitening approach to help patients in Pasadena, California, and surrounding areas achieve bright white smiles safely and effectively.
What causes teeth to look yellow or stained?
A number of factors can contribute to a discolored or yellowed appearance in your smile. Some of the most common causes of tooth discoloration include:
- Eating and drinking deeply pigmented foods – some of our favorite foods and beverages, such as tea, coffee, wine, and berries, have richly colored pigments that can leave lasting stains on your teeth
- Using tobacco – smoking, or chewing tobacco often leads to tooth discoloration
- Taking certain medications – some medications, such as certain antibiotics and high blood pressure medicines, can lead to tooth discoloration
- Getting older – as we age, the outer layer of enamel becomes thinner, and the dentin beneath the surface becomes more visible, giving a yellow appearance to the teeth
Benefits of professional teeth whitening
Teeth whitening products are available seemingly everywhere you look, from the grocery store aisles to the drug store. However, these over-the-counter products are inferior to professional teeth whitening in nearly every way.
- Customized care: First and foremost, our customized teeth whitening treatments at Pasadena Prosthodontics are designed with your specific needs in mind. We work with you to learn about your long-term goals for your smile and perform an in-depth evaluation to help you achieve those goals. For example, if you have older dental restorations that are looking dull, Dr. Marchack will create a plan for replacing your restorations alongside your whitening treatments for the best results. We also work with you to identify any oral health issues that may need to be addressed prior to performing cosmetic treatments such as tooth whitening to ensure the health of your smile.
- Comfort: With tooth whitening trays that have been created specifically for your individual smile and a customized treatment plan based on your needs, you can rely on a comfortable tooth whitening experience at Pasadena Prosthodontics. For example, we can adjust the treatment schedule and add a buffering ingredient to the whitening gel for patients with tooth sensitivity issues, as well as apply topical fluoride treatments that can help reduce sensitivity.
- Safety: We use a professional-grade tooth whitening gel and design your customized trays so that the tooth whitening products stay only where they belong—on your teeth—and off of your sensitive soft tissues such as your gums, where they can cause pain and irritation.
Schedule an Appointment
Learn more in a consultation
For a professional dental whitening experience that is completely personalized based on your smile and aesthetic goals, contact Dr. Christopher Marchack at Pasadena Prosthodontics today! Our office is conveniently located in Pasadena, California, and can be reached at 855.770.3737 if you are a new patient or 626.793.6700 if you are an existing patient.Back to Teeth Whitening Page